So every once in a while I have some sites that I check out when I'm really bored and looking for new things to talk about. This is one that I find pretty funny because you can get a look back at how stupid some of the states were back in the day. Dumblaws.com is a great place to check out laws that are in your state and are ridiculous. They even have an international section for all the other areas of the world.
Here's some of them off of their site.
- Wisconsin - "While all cheese making requires a license, Limburger cheese making requires a master cheese maker's license."
- Wisconsin - "The state definition of rape stated that it was a man having sex with a woman he knows not to be his wife."
- Wisconsin - "As people used to smuggle it in from Illinois, all yellow butter substitute is banned."
- Wisconsin - "Livestock have the right-of-way on public roads."
- Wisconsin - "The government may not prohibit manual flushed urinals."
- Indiana - "If any person has a puppet show, wire dancing or tumbling act in the state of Indiana and receives money for it, they will be fined $3 under the Act to Prevent Certain Immoral Practices."
- Indiana - "It is illegal for a man to be sexually aroused in public."
- Indiana - "Oral sex is illegal."
- Indiana - "A man over the age of 18 may be arrested for statutory rape if the passenger in his car is not wearing her socks and shoes, and is under the age of 17."
- Indiana - "Smoking in the state legislature building is banned, except when the legislature is in session."
- Illinois - "The English language is not to be spoken."
- Illinois - "You must contact the police before entering the city in an automobile."
- Illinois - "You may be arrested for vagrancy if you do not have at least one dollar bill on your person."
- Iowa - "A man with a moustache may never kiss a woman in public."
- Iowa - "Kisses may last for no more than five minutes."
- Iowa - "It is a violation of the law to sell or distribute drugs or narcotics without having first obtained the appropriate Iowa drug tax stamp."
- Iowa - "One-armed piano players must perform for free."
The really strange part is some of these are still in effect. I mean can you really take down a law after it's been put up? Just goes to show that the cops could bust you for just about anything if they really wanted. Just depends on how well they know their laws.
And any ladies in Texas should really take a look at this one.
- Texas - "Up to a felony charge can be levied for promoting the use of, or owning more than six dildos."
I'm just putting it out there so you know. I find it funny as well.